Blood + Chrome: Philly 2066
All corporations are rated on a scale from A to AAA, with AAA-rated corps being the most powerful. AA and AAA corporations are immune to domestic laws, responsible only to themselves, and regulated only by the Corporate Court, an assembly of the seven AAA-rated corporations. All AAA-rated and most AA-rated corporations also exhibit a privilege known as extraterritoriality, meaning that any land owned by the corp is sovereign territory only to the corp and immune to any country or city-state’s laws. Corporate territory is not foreign soil but corporate soil, just like its employees are corporate citizens, though dual citizenship in a corporation and a nation is common.
The megacorps fight each other not only in the boardroom with tricky negotiations, but with physical destruction, clandestine operations, hostile extraction or elimination of vital personnel, and other means of sabotage. Because no corporation wants to be held liable for damages, it has to be done by deniable assets: shadowrunners, those invisible to the system where every citizen is tagged with a System Identification Number (SIN). They are outcasts from the streets or disillusioned ex-corp/government/military personnel who threw off the shackles of corp society to achieve freedom. They chose or were forced to work in the shadows cast by the gigantic corporate buildings to support their living.
These are the seven AAA-rated megacorps, all of whom hold a substantial amount of power within the Philly Sprawl:
- Ares Macrotechnology — Detroit-based conglomerate of arms (Ares Arms, the original company), automobile (General Motors), and space (Ares Space, formerly NASA) industries. Ares also owns Knight Errant Security, and Apple Computer, amongst its numerous divisions.
- Evo Corporation — A corp based in Vladivostok, Russia, that focuses on nano- and bio-technology, genetics research and other transhumanist technologies. They are the first corp to become transplanetary after establishing a Mars base.
- Mitsuhama Computer Technologies — Started as money-laundering operation for the Yakuza but soon surpassed their investors’ income by a very large margin. Focuses largely on robotics, heavy machinery, and computers.
- Renraku Computer Systems (レンラク) — A computer and arms-producing giant from Japan. They are known for their elite military unit, the Red Samurai.
- Saeder-Krupp Heavy Industries — The world’s largest corporation. A German conglomerate based on the production of steel, heavy industrial goods, cars (through their BMW subsidiary), arms, and communications in Europe.
- Wuxing Inc. — A Hong Kong-based company that heavily focuses on shipping and finance.
- Shiawase Corporation — An old business founded by the Shiawase family (幸 or 倖), which survived the turmoils of the early 21st century unscathed and were quickly able to expand in energy production, biotech, and environmental procedures. First to fight for and be granted megacorporate sovereignty (later called extraterritoriality).